15 Best Elf On The Shelf Ideas So Genius, You’ll Want To Steal Them
These creative and unique elf on the shelf ideas will get you inspired and add some extra magic to your holiday season. From traditional ways to use the elf to unexpected and unique ideas, we’ve got something for everyone. Learn how to make your own elf and accessories for a personalized touch. Start planning your elf on the shelf adventure now!
Are you looking to add some extra magic to your holiday season? Look no further than the beloved tradition of the elf on the shelf. For those who are unfamiliar, the elf on the shelf is a small doll that serves as a scout for Santa Claus. Each night, the elf moves to a different location in the house, and in the morning, children wake up to find the elf in a new spot.
But what sets the elf on the shelf apart from a regular toy is the creativity and imagination that goes into it. Parents and kids alike can have fun coming up with new and unique ideas for the elf’s whereabouts, and it adds an extra layer of excitement and anticipation to the holiday season.
In this article, we will be sharing classic, creative and DIY ideas for how to use your elf on the shelf. From traditional ways to use the elf to unexpected and unique ideas, we’ve got something for everyone. Get ready to add some extra sparkle to your holiday season with these fun and imaginative elf on the shelf ideas.
Classic Elf on the Shelf Ideas
One of the most classic ways to use an elf on the shelf is by hiding it in different places around the house each night. This creates an element of surprise and excitement for children as they wake up in the morning and search for the elf’s new location. Here are a few traditional ideas for where to hide your elf:
- On the mantelpiece next to the Christmas stockings
- In the Christmas tree, perched on a branch or hidden among the decorations
- On the kitchen counter, next to a plate of cookies for Santa
- In the bathroom, sitting on the edge of the bathtub or in the shower
- In the child’s bedroom, sitting on a bookshelf or hiding in a toy box
- On the windowsill, looking out at the snow
- In the living room, lounging on the couch or armchair
- On the fridge, holding a note or drawing
You can also get creative with the elf’s poses and expressions to add more fun and excitement. For example, you can make the elf look as if it’s enjoying a cup of hot cocoa, watching TV, or reading a book. You can also add some accessories like a scarf or a hat, to make it look different every day.
Remember, the elf’s location should be easy for children to find but still challenging enough to keep them guessing. Also, you can rotate the location of the elf every week, to keep the tradition fresh and exciting.
Creative Elf on the Shelf Ideas
While hiding the elf in different locations around the house is a classic and beloved tradition, there are many unique and unexpected ways to use an elf on the shelf that can add even more fun and excitement to the holiday season. Here are a few creative ideas for using your elf on the shelf:
- Incorporating the elf into holiday decorations:
- Place the elf in a holiday-themed tableau, such as a gingerbread house or a nativity scene
- Dress the elf up in festive clothing, such as a Santa hat or a reindeer costume
- Have the elf “decorate” the Christmas tree by hanging ornaments or tinsel on the branches
- Using the elf to teach a lesson:
- Use the elf to model good behavior, such as leaving a note praising a child for tidying their room or doing chores
- Use the elf to teach a moral lesson, such as a note encouraging children to share or be kind to others
- Use the elf to help teach numbers, shapes and letters
- Using the elf for a scavenger hunt:
- Leave a series of clues for children to follow that will lead them to the elf’s final location
- Make it a race between children and the elf, the first one to find the elf wins a prize
- Using the elf for storytelling:
- Leave a note from the elf each night detailing the adventures it had during the day
- Create a story around the elf’s location, for example, the elf got stuck in the Christmas tree and needed help getting down
- Incorporating the elf into family activities:
- Have the elf hide in a location related to a planned family activity, such as a movie night or a game night
These creative ideas will add an extra layer of excitement and anticipation to the holiday season, and also make the tradition of the elf on the shelf more interactive and engaging for children and adults.
DIY Elf on the Shelf Ideas
One of the best things about the elf on the shelf tradition is that it’s easy to personalize and make your own. Creating your own elf or accessories can be a fun and creative way to add a unique touch to the tradition. Here are a few DIY ideas for making your own elf on the shelf:
- Make your own elf:
- Use a pattern or tutorial to create a stuffed elf doll. You can use fabric, felt or even recycle an old pair of socks.
- Once you have the basic shape, use paint, fabric markers, or even buttons to create the face.
- You can also make clothes for the elf by using scraps of fabric or felt and a little bit of sewing knowledge.
- Create your own elf accessories:
- Make a tiny elf-sized blanket or sleeping bag for the elf to nap in.
- Craft a miniature version of a favorite holiday decoration, such as a tiny gingerbread house or a miniature Christmas tree.
- Make an elf-sized sled or a tiny pair of skis for your elf to play with.
- Create tiny elf-sized props, like a tiny book, a tiny camera or even a tiny guitar.
- Upcycle an existing toy:
- Give an old toy a makeover by painting it and giving it elf-like features.
- Use a glue gun and some felt to add clothes and accessories to an existing toy.
- Use printable templates:
- There are several printable templates and patterns available online, for example for making clothes, accessories or even an elf house, that you can print and use to make your own elf on the shelf.
These DIY ideas will allow you to create a unique and special elf on the shelf that is truly one-of-a-kind. Plus, creating your own elf can be a fun family activity that everyone can enjoy.
In conclusion, the elf on the shelf tradition is a beloved and magical way to add some extra excitement and anticipation to the holiday season. Whether you prefer to stick to classic ways of using the elf or you’re looking for something more unique and unexpected, there are countless ideas to choose from.
We’ve discussed classic ways of using the elf, such as hiding it in different places around the house, as well as more creative ideas like incorporating the elf into holiday decorations, using it to teach a lesson, using it for a scavenger hunt, using it for storytelling, and incorporating it into family activities. We also discussed DIY ideas for making your own elf or accessories, which can add a personal and unique touch to the tradition.
We hope that this article has provided you with inspiration and ideas for how to make the most of your elf on the shelf. We encourage you to try out some of these ideas for yourself and see how they can add some extra magic to your holiday season. And don’t forget to share your own elf on the shelf ideas in the comments section, we would love to hear them!
Elf Is Hanging Around
Via yours truly, this Elf is super simple to accomplish. This is a great one to pull off when you are in a rush because you forgot to do something and they are about to wake up.
Any toy vs. Elf in a snowball fight. This is also simple to pull off in a pinch. Simply use balled up paper, balls or marshmallows. Via chasingabetterlife.
Elf Working Out
Elf working off all the cookies and candy.
Elf Bubble Bath
Because hygiene is important.
Elf Dunk Tank
Throw snowballs (marshmallows) to dunk the elf.
Free Elf Kisses
Elf Ball Pit
Elf TP’d The Tree!
Naughty Elf TP’d the tree into a snowman!
Elf Shares Free Reindeer Poop
This is simply chocolate covered raisins in a small container and a handmade sign. From chasingabetterlife.com
Elf Vs. Darth Vador
“Toasty” Warm Elf
Another Snowball Fight
Elf Baked Cookies
Elf Is Back
Either back from Quarantine or back for a new year, this is a cute and easy way to make a comeback!
Elf is Captured By Army Forces
Another goodie from Chasing a Better Life!
Naughty List Warning
Elf Doing Laundry
Elf Enjoying Coffee or Hot Chocolate
From Chasing a Better Life
Keurig pods make the perfect vessel for your elf to enjoy a drink. We simply used a previously used pod which makes it easy to insert a straw into the existing hole.
Build A Snowman
Elf vs. Train
This one is also from chasing a better life.
Special Kiss Cookies
Flour Snow Angel
Elf Melted Frosty
See You Next Year
Wow, somebody has entirely too much time on their hands during the holidays!! Lol!!!