Best Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich | This recipe makes light work of the French dip sandwich, perfect for busy people and parties. Make this deliciously tender and juicy french dip in your crock pot. These beef dip sandwiches are a family favorite and one of the most popular recipes at my parties, and on game day.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Our slow cooker French roll dip sandwiches are savory sandwiches made with slow-cooked, tender beef that is served on toasted hoagie rolls and topped with melted cheese (optional).
The real star of the show, however, is the rich and flavorful broth that is used for dipping.
Tips for Making the Best Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
To make the best French dip sandwiches, there are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Choose a good quality beef roast. Look for a cut with plenty of marbling, as this will add flavor and help keep the meat moist during the slow cooking process.
- Season the roast well. A little garlic and onion powder go a long way in adding flavor to the beef.
- Don't skimp on the broth. The broth is what gives French dip sandwiches their signature flavor, so be sure to use a good quality beef broth and don't be afraid to add a splash of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce for extra depth of flavor.
- Toast the hoagie rolls. Toasting the rolls before filling them with the beef helps to add a nice crust and keeps the sandwiches from getting soggy.
- Experiment with variations. Try adding sautéed onions and peppers to the sandwiches, or try different types of melty cheese such as provolone or Swiss. You can also experiment with different types of broth, such as chicken or vegetable, to change things up.
With these tips in mind, you'll be on your way to making the best French dip sandwiches. Let's get cooking!
Ingredients Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
For this easy recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 lbs beef chuck or rump roast: The beef chuck roast is the main ingredient in these French dip sandwiches. It is a flavorful and relatively inexpensive cut of beef that is perfect for slow cooking. Look for a roast with plenty of marbling, as this will add flavor and help keep the meat moist during the cooking process.
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans condensed French onion soup: The French onion soup adds flavor and moisture to the beef as it cooks. It also helps to create a rich and flavorful au jus sauce for dipping the sandwiches. I always keep the condensed french onion soup and beef consommé on hand, stocking up when I get them on BOGO at Publix.
- 1 (10.5 oz) can beef consommé: The beef consommé is another flavorful addition to the broth. It adds richness and depth of flavor to the dipping sauce.
- Provolone cheese: The provolone cheese is optional, but it adds a nice creamy texture and nutty flavor to the sandwiches. You can use other types of cheese if you prefer, such as Swiss or cheddar.
- Sub rolls or preferred rolls: You will need some kind of roll or bun to serve the sandwiches on. Sub rolls or hoagie rolls work well, but you can use any type of roll that you prefer.
- Optional: Garlic powder, bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions: These vegetables are optional, but they add a nice spice/crunch and flavor to the sandwiches. You can sauté them in a pan before adding them to the sandwiches, or you can simply slice them and add them raw.
This recipe's cooking time is several hours, but it's unwatched hours. I love that I can put it in and after several hours simply see if it pulls apart. The meat is at it's most tender and juiciest, flavorful beef state after cooking slow and low and tender enough to fall apart.
Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions for the Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
To make these slow-cooker French dip sandwiches, follow these simple steps:
- Place the roast in the slow cooker: Place the beef chuck roast in the slow cooker.
- Add the beef consommé and French onion soup: Pour in the beef consommé and French onion soup, making sure to cover the roast completely.
- Cook on LOW: Cover the slow cooker and cook the roast on LOW for approximately 6-8 hours, or until it pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Shred the roast: Once the roast is cooked, place it on a cutting board and shred it using two forks. Reserve the juices from the slow cooker for dipping.
- Sauté optional vegetables: If you are including bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions, now is the time to sauté them. Heat a little oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add the vegetables. Sauté until they are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Place the shredded, tender roast beef on your desired crusty roll or hoagie buns and top with provolone or swiss cheese and any other desired toppings.
- Serve the hot sandwich with the reserved juices for dipping: Place the sandwiches on a serving platter and serve with the reserved juices from the slow cooker for dipping. Enjoy!
- 30 SUPER SWEET DIY VALENTINE’S DAY MASON JAR IDEAS
- Fresh & Delicious Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna | Keto-Friendly, Gluten-Free
- 16 SUPER CUTE DIY VALENTINE’S DAY GIFTS FOR ANYONE
- DIY Colorful Mardi Gras Slime in Gold, Green and Purple
- Keto Bacon, Cheese, and Avocado Egg Bites