Best Air Purifiers for Allergies
Allergies have always been an issue for me. At one time, it was worse in cold climates and rarely affected me in south Florida. Something has changed because that is no longer the case. When it is also bothering the kids, well, that’s when I need to take action. It seems to be bothering us to an excessive degree.
When I started looking into it, I found that the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, state that allergies are on the rise and are affecting 30% of adults and an astounding 40% of kids. Because of factors such as carpeting, drapes, and the like, this harbors germs within the home making it 2 to 5 times dirtier than the outdoor air!
Armed with that information, I decided to look into air purifiers. Unfortunately, good air purifier are rather expensive. They can be anywhere from $50 to $1000. A $50 one probably won’t do what we need it to do. On top of that already large expense, you’ll have to account for filters and your rise in electric. You may think it won’t change your electric but to be really effective, it will need to run 24/7. Often, the more expensive have noise reduction as well.
Upon researching air purifiers, I found the air purifier with the best reviews and affordabilty is the Honeywell Allergen Remover. This comes in at $250, which is a nominal amount in my opinion for the rave reviews that it gets. With the needed filters, it comes in at $305.
Important to note, this covers a 465 sq. ft. area. This means that while it is a nominal price if you have a family, you will probably need more than one. In many cases, they overstate the area that their equipment will cover, so it’s best to buy a larger one.
Also important to note, air purifiers only remove particulates in the air. Once these have settled into carpeting, that requires a tool that is able to extract these particulates.
What is recommended for particulates that have settled into the floor as well as pet hair and dander is the Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum. It has whole machine HEPA filtration that is certified asthma and allergy friendly and that Whole-machine HEPA filtration ensures allergens and bacteria are trapped inside the machine.
As you know, in most cases the more expensive is often better and does more. This is no different with air purifiers. Cheap will not get you much if anything. In the case of health, it’s better to get the best in your price range.
Features of Best Air Purifiers for Allergies
There are many types of air purifiers from ultraviolet, ionizing and filter based. HEPA is the most preferred, removing 99.97% of allergens and particulates.
Home Maintenance to Prevent Allergens
While you research the air purifiers and what you can afford, there are steps you can take to make your home healthier.
- Vacuum often. Personally, I vacuum a minimum of weekly but it is often 2-3 times a week. Based purely on what my schedule allows that week. The more you vacuum the better. You want to remove as much of the irritants as possible, especially if you or family is suffering from allergies or asthma.
- Maintenance on your heat and a/c system. First, change your filter monthly. Then, check with your a/c guy on how to maintain your a/c unit from mold. My a/c guy taught me how to run bleach through the system and where to do it on my system.
- Clean the lint from your dryer and dryer vent regularly.
- Smoking, candles, and wood fires should be kept to a minimum or not at all as these are also allergens.
- Clean air filters, bathroom filters, stove hood filters regularly. Many people never even touch these. You wouldn’t believe the allergens on them.
- Do not store any chemicals (paint, solvents, cleansers) inside.
My Best Air Purifiers for Allergies Recommendation:
The Rabbit features:
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
- Odor Remover customized filter: Traps and reduces odors from pets, cigarettes and cigars, cooking and mildew.Germ Defense FilterEffectively traps and reduces airborne bacteria, mold spores and particles that carry viruses
Pet Allergy Filter
Traps and reduces pet dander and pet allergens
Toxin Absorber Filter
Traps and reduces volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other chemicals
Odor Remover Filter
Traps and reduces odors from pets, cigarettes, and cigars, cooking and mildew
- The MinusA2 is designed to either stand alone or to be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 700 sq. ft.