The Health Benefits Of Going Keto
There are many health benefits experienced by those on the ketogenic diet. The basis of the diet is that it is designed to get a certain response from the body. Those on the keto diet eat normal amounts of protein, higher amounts of fat, and they keep their carbohydrate intake very low.
Because carbohydrate intake is low, the blood sugar (glucose) level is low, and the brain pulls from this alternative energy source, which is fat. Before fats can be used by the body, the liver has to first convert them to ketones. It is ketones that are used as energy for the body and brain when there is a lack of glucose.
The ketogenic diet actually originated as a tool for treating neurological diseases, such as epilepsy. Studies have shown that this diet can have benefits for a wide variety of health conditions.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn some money if you click on one.Read the full disclaimer here.
7 Intermittent Fasting Hacks For Successful Keto
20 Keto Snacks That Cut The Cravings And Help You Lose The Weight
20 Crockpot Keto Meals Perfect For Vacation
Before we list these health conditions, a few wonderful side effects most people on the diet will experience include:
- Weight Loss: Due to lowered insulin levels and the body’s ability to burn stored fat, those who adhere to the diet find that they lose weight more quickly than with conventional diets.
- Clarity of Mind: An unbalanced diet can lead to a lack of mental clarity, and it feels like a foggy People find it difficult to remember facts or struggle with staying focused on tasks. The keto diet, by helping the body burn fat as energy, sends energy to the brain and helps it to stay focused.
- Improve Productivity: Many people are not aware that ketones are a more efficient energy source than glucose. And for the brain, energy is everything. This type of energy helps better protect the brain — and the rest of the body — from oxidative stress, which negatively affects mental performance and brain aging. Improved mental performance, improved clarity, improved memory all combine to improve productivity.
- Acne: Lower insulin levels and eating less sugar and processed foods help improve acne. In addition, an increase in water intake will occur due to the lack of carbohydrates, offering good hydration of the skin.
Other serious health conditions can be improved, reduced, and in some cases cured when on the keto diet. These include:
- Heart Disease: In addition to weight loss, the risk factors of body fat, HDL levels, blood pressure and blood sugar are improved.
- Cancer: There are medical studies, such as those conducted by the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Iowa, and the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, that are showing good results with the ketogenic diet being an effective treatment for several types of cancer and slow tumor growth.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Ketogenic diets are being used to help treat Alzheimer’s symptoms. Those patients on the diet have shown a reduction in those symptoms and improved cognitive function.
- Epilepsy: The Epilepsy Foundation endorses the ketogenic diet because it has been shown to help control seizures in some people with epilepsy. Doctors usually recommend the ketogenic diet for children whose seizures have not responded to several different seizure medicines.
BONUS: Keto Recommendations
As an added bonus, here are some keto products to help you get started:
Dash Rapid Egg Cooker – This is the PERFECT appliance for picky eaters, large families, or those who have busy schedules. Hard-boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, individual omelets, and all within minutes of the push start button – it couldn’t be easier!
Perfect Keto Chocolate Exogenous Ketones – Perfect Keto exogenous ketones get you in ketosis. Our beta-hydroxybutyrates (BHB) formula was designed for those on a ketogenic diet, or others who may struggle to get back into ketosis after eating carbs. Perfect Keto raises blood ketone levels, improving athletic endurance, mental performance, and energy levels.
Perfect Keto Ketone Testing Strips – Quick easy and reliable urinalysis testing for ketosis after you have had a keto snack or other keto products. Easy for on-the-go testing analysis after keto diet supplements or low carb food.
Keto Made Easy: 100+ Easy Keto Dishes Made Fast to Fit Your Life – Everything can be made keto! That’s the message that food bloggers Matt Gaedke and Megha Barot want to deliver with their new book, Keto Made Easy. No more missing out on classics or favorite dishes, no more added costs with exotic new ingredients—in Keto Made Easy, Matt and Megha show you how to re-create non-keto recipes in easy, cost-effective, and delicious ways.
56 Insanely Delicious Fat Bombs Recipes for Keto & Why You Need Them
8 Charts That Will Turn You Into a Keto Expert
200+ Cheap and Easy Keto Recipes
30+ Beautiful & Trending Spring/Summer Outfits You Need To Get Right Now
While no research is conclusive that a ketogenic diet will reduce the symptoms or actually cure major health issues, there is evidence that it does not do any harm. As for the side benefits of mental clarity and weight loss, those are shown to occur in otherwise healthy adults.